Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lecture: Monday the 22nd

I was so relieved in Monday night's lecture that someone finally explained Chalk and Wire to me. I had heard a lot about it, but never many details. Erin Zidlicky seemed incredibly knowledgeable about it, and explained the process in a way that even people who aren't computer savvy (like me) could understand. 
Chalk and Wire seems to be a good program, especially when looking for jobs in a few years. I do, however have a couple worries: First, what if the computer program somehow crashes and all of my work throughout college is lost? There is no way for me to show future employers everything I've done through the Luther Education Department if everything is lost. Secondly, not everyone is moving towards the electronic world. What if my job interviewers don't understand how to go through Chalk and Wire? I know many older people who would much rather have hard copies of my work so they can see it right in front of them. Thirdly, as I mentioned earlier, I am not too smart when it comes to computers. I don't want to feel as if I'm at a disadvantage from people who are intelligent with computers. Finally, one of the things we learn in education classes is that everyone learns differently. I therefore think it is a bit ironic that we are all expected to use Chalk and Wire, instead of having the option to present our information in other ways. 
I am eager to start this Chalk and Wire process to see how it works first-hand. 

1 comment:

joyfuleducator said...

Emily-

I have the same worries about chalk and wire. I am also looking forward to beginning compiling an amazing portfolio for my future. I am sure that you will figure out how to use it very well, I am not so great at technology either. Interesting point about the ways we all learn differently.

Lara