Tuesday, October 7, 2008

"High Stakes Community Schools" -- Role Play Lecture

Tonight's lecture was very enlightening for me. I really enjoyed the role-playing lecture because it introduced me to a new way of teaching. It would not be as applicable in a younger elementary school classroom, however it would still work. 
The topic of this role-playing lecture (the proposal for the high stakes school), was also very interesting. I like how it is a situation we, as teachers, may come across in our years in the schools. It made me realize how difficult it may be to get my opinion heard, especially if there are strongly opinionated administrators behind the proposal.
If I use this type of learning style in my classroom, I hope to spend more time in the debates. There were many students who didn't get their say in, and I think it would have been more beneficial to the whole group if we heard every point of view. I understand this would take a lot of time, and there must be some boundaries, but I just felt it was rushed.
Overall it was a great lecture night!

No comments: