Thursday, November 20, 2008

CHALK

We started watching the 2007 movie "Chalk" in lecture on Monday. When I heard we were just watching a movie I was a bit agitated: I felt I had so much to do before Thanksgiving that watching a video would be a waste of my time. As the movie started playing, though, I started to lighten up and actually laugh! The movie immediately reminded me of The Office -- it was supposed to seem like a documentary, yet everything was over-exaggerated. 
One thing that caught my attention before the movie started was a preview that had the quote:

 "50 percent of all teachers quit after their first year."

Eek! I could not believe this statistic. To be perfectly honest, it scared me a bit. I have known that I want to be a teacher about ten years, and I cannot imagine myself in another profession. So what would I do if I did not make it through my first year?
Chalk helped show some of the main issues teachers may experience in their first few years of teaching: unsteadiness in oneself, uncooperative students. teacher drama, etc. It was nice to see these issues presented in a comical way, because it helped me realize how silly some of the issues are -- and how I could potentially fix these problems. 
I am very excited to see the end of the movie next Monday!

No comments: