Friday, November 7, 2008

Decorah Teachers Lecture

On Monday three Decorah school teachers came to talk to us in lecture about their daily school lives. One was in the elementary school, one middle, and one high school. I thought it was incredibly informative and helpful -- it's my favorite lecture thus far. 
One of the questions posed to the teachers was whether they ever regretted becoming a teacher. Surprisingly, all three said "no." The middle school teacher even pointed out that she had wanted to be a teacher for as long as she can remember. This made me happy because that's exactly how I have felt growing up. I am one of the only people I know who came to college knowing exactly what my major would be. I even knew I wanted to be a teacher when I entered Middle School! Not many people can say that . . . 
It was very reassuring that I probably won't regret it once I'm in the actual classroom.
Overall, this was a very helpful lecture. It was great to hear current teachers' opinions on different topics, and even give suggestions. (Such as "the janitor must become your best friend!)
I hope that someday I can be on a panel like that and help future teachers.

No comments: